Monday, July 26, 2010

Not finished yet.

I am quite aware of my irregular posting, but I have been enjoying investments I have made with my time. The multimedia that I have been sampling has been Joseph Delaney's Last Apprentice series (on the fourth book currently out of the six part series, more on that later...), Sarah Prineas's Magic Thief (loads of fun for me to visit! Also deserving its own space.), and have been listening to two Keane projects - Hopes & Fears and Night Train. My favorite from each album has been Somewhere only we Know and World goes Round (You have to help yourself), respectively, but there is hardly a mediocre song on either disc. In truth, I know little of Keane's background, and admit that their hard to find status appealed to me. Keane is not indie, technically, but is just not readily seen and heard in my experience with the mainstream. Their sound is percussion and piano overlaid with smoothly accented vocals. It holds a laid back intellectual poetry kind of feel, likened to a thoughtful stroll in a park on a day when the grass appears particularly luscious.

Now, for the Last Apprentice. The protagonist is a student of an elderly, yet strong Spook. The spook's task is to bind malignant supernatural forces that plague the county. Each apprentice must be the seventh son of a seventh son, a child gifted with the ability to see things other mortals cannot. Thomas J. Ward is the seventh son of a farmer, and, as his father is out of better options, has to be the Spook's last apprentice. Mr. John Gregory is the toughest and best spook alive, having trained all the other spooks in the county. Thomas is awed by him, but sometimes his curiosity to know about Mr. Gregory eclipses his better judgment. Thomas's only other friend is Alice, a young girl related to some of the more unsavory witches of the county. She is skilled in herb lore and getting Thomas in some tight positions. Mr. Gregory doesn't trust her fully, Thomas feels a kinship to her in feeling and often confides in her about what he learns in his training. She in turn, helps with his education in latin and witchy wisdom. Alice is not a witch... yet, but its influence pulls at her. That knowledge, combined with her willful and adventurous personality allow her to be an interesting contrast to Thomas's cautious tendencies. So far, so good with this series - I pick up an installment and it quickly hooks me each time.

Magic Thief is quite different. Its main character, Conn, has an instinctive connection to the magic of his hometown of Wellmet. His master, Nevery, is gruff and reluctant, but helps Conn out of many a scrape. Nevery is respected for his abilities, but never quite safe enough for the council of Wellmet to consider him a proper member of its inner circle of politics. Conn is a former pickpocket expert with wires - he teaches his master his trade in exchange for the room, board, and training he recieves. Conn is a quick and eager learner, Nevery likes his spunk, even though it sometimes outweighs the set view of the natures of magic. Each wizard controls and focuses his magic through a special stone by which magical energy is released. Conn is friendly and self confident, it wins him many friends as well as enemies. Among his friends are the duchesses' daughter Rowan, and Nevery's brawny housekeeper and bodyguard, Benet. It is delightful to follow Conn through scrapes and escapes as he saves Wellmet from losing its magic supply. I will start on the third book soon, just borrowed it from the library today.

I am enjoying life most happily. Hope that you are thrilled with the gift of living breath as well. You only have the present, the future is going to be shaped by what habits and actions you make and take. I have no fear - I am blessed with a patient and supportive family, and a vivacious group of friends who inspire my respect and admiration, and hold the honor of your time and attention while reading this. You are most appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I love Somewhere Only We Know. I also like Everybody's Changing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaleb---Good to see you back on the blog. I enjoyed these reviews. I'm sure you've encountered Terry Pratchett's writing, but I wonder if you've read his "Wee Free Men" and "A Hatful of Sky," which are about a young witch in training. Worth a look.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete