Wednesday, April 23, 2014

One more Time

Titled in reference to the Daft Punk track from the Discovery album. The track itself is repetitive, but has a catchy rhythm. It has enough of a pulse to get through to the audience, but in the middle there is an interlude. It scales back on the party-feeling with an atmospheric vibration backing the vocalist's musing.

"You know I am just feeling celebration tonight. Celebrate, don't wait too late. We can't stop no. You can't stop, we wanna celebrate. One more time (3x). A celebration. You know we're gonna do it alright now. Tonight. Hey, just feeling - music's got me feeling a need."

But these words do not communicate the experience of the song. They are merely the tool, not how it was used. It is the same with books and most art. It can be described, but there is a communion with the art and the audience. What each has brought to the table and whether it satisfies the audience when it walks away.

My friend has given me a collection of stories by Jorge Luis Borges. I had never heard of the fellow, an Argentinian writer of some renown in the 20th century. But my friend assured me that I will like it. At the moment, I think that it tells me more about what my friend enjoys more than I do. But I am genuinely touched by the gesture. The excitement that he had when giving me this copy of "The Aleph and other stories. 1933-1969."

He told me that it was an out-of-print treasure and was translated by the original author. Reworded to convey the short pieces to the American mind. The author's widow had it reprinted so that she could receive royalties from her late husband's livelihood. I can understand that the career of a writer is difficult and often doesn't pay well. You are trading in ideas, in giving your perspective to the public. Asking them to try on your lenses through how you perceive the world.

The first story, The Aleph, was my friend's favorite one. It concerned the author's persona mourning the death of a woman who never returned his affections. Her cousin, Carlos Argentino Daneri, was a librarian and aspiring poet. Trying to condense the world into the metre of a masterwork poem entitled "The Earth." Borges was not impressed by the man, or his work, but kept company with him because he was a reminder of his late beloved. But Daneri has a secret in his dark cellar. A secret that drives his grand inspiration and ambition to fit the world within the covers of his comprehensive prose.

As this was my first experience reading the author, I have not acclimated my mind to how to read him as of yet. Different authors have certain fondnesses for me to visit. I have a pleasure in reading Neil Gaiman, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, Kieron Gillen, Matt Fraction, and Warren Ellis. Each has their own feel to their mind.

Gaiman's is like a thick dreamscape (I am not convinced that he is not Morpheus incarnate, his character from the Sandman graphic novels).
Chesterton's is seriously amusing rather than amusingly serious, he plays with words, tenses, and tensions like a solo artist with his instrument.
Lewis has good thoughts distilled into simple language and examples. He guides the reader along patiently and with good humor to meet his conclusions like old friends.
Gillen plays and plies upon the reader with wit and grins. Snappy dialogue and intricate situations to allow for seeing the present issues through multiple character's eyes.
Fraction is chaotic, swinging from finding the unusual in the everyday to finding the everyday in the unusual. It is sometimes an exercise, others a sigh of contentment and pleasure.
Ellis is gritty and philosophical. His characters are gritty and grind on each other. His words smile grimly and pack heat even in a-sidearms.

I will add more observations as I am in the mood.


Usually ended
These posts of thought and reviews
With some rough haikus

1 comment:

  1. You captured each of your favorite author's style with a wit and candor entirely of your own expression. Your own style is a conglomeration of them all.

    ReplyDelete