Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mystery Guitar Man

I have a confession to make: I am a Youtube freak. It is a source of constant entertainment for me. On Tuesdays and Thursdays my personal favorite, Mystery Guitar Man(MGM), uploads a new video.I personally cannot relate to the amount of time he spends in making each stop motion or looping video, yet the end results never fail to surprise me. He collaborates very often in the Youtube community, and does not demand recognition for his part. He reminds his audience wryly that the reason he has so much free time is his lack of a girlfriend. Paper Mosaic is his latest video to date and is interesting for the fact of his fans' participation in the materials for the project:


The joke of the show is that Mystery guitar man is neither a mystery or a breathtaking musician. His name is Joe Penna and his talent lies in his creative way of choreographing videos. He started out with videos by playing one note at a time and cutting around the video to present the impression of a full song. Like this:

Later on, Joe added looping videos like this:

I have posted three videos already, and I feel like I'm only giving you the tip of the iceberg! But that is the purpose of a review - to either whet your appetite for an in depth experience of your own, or the decision that 'I am never going to waste my time researching that!'. For my recent birthday, I bought a T-shirt designed by MGM. It was a simple idea, one that I could have copied easily on a blank shirt from a store. However, if it supports him in some peripheral way, it is well worth the price. He has entertained me for free these past few months, I'd like to give some support back to the sender.

No comments:

Post a Comment