Tuesday, February 15, 2011

An Overdue Poem (two reviews)

Oh, how I love being up late!
It has been consistent for a while (if I must be straight)
It is the power of the Mountain Dew, I have slurped it as a slushie and ice-laden brew
But, 'tis my readers who should be the tone of my verse - I am an amateur writer (and my voice is not terse).
My readers are patient, as my keyboard flings couplets true.
I am not a William Shakespeare, but I have gifted this to you.
I hope you enjoy, my words and my thoughts.
Although I have been sporadic at best, I wish I were not.
The longer I stall, the less I will write.
(I never quite finished the Carol Burnett entry that night!)
I read P.G. Wodehouse's "Code of the Woosters."
My review would be insufficient and Jeeves needs no booster.
I find myself saying "Yes, Sir," as a symptom of that character's style.
Though explaining the book's humor would take a good while -
Wodehouse's laughs are intricate in scope, linking to other stories he wrote.
The situations are invariably over the top, Bertie digs his own graves, then blindly flops.
Jeeves rescues his Master, though I can't figure why -
The butler is so brilliant, "What ties him to Bertie's side?"
The stakes are so high, Bertie Wooster is always on the brink of disaster.
Jeeves always comes through with a last minute plaster.
Augustus Fink-Nottle is my favorite part, a newty nerd who is feckless and has a good heart.
Madeline is a dreamer, all up in the clouds. She spouts poetry (which creeps Wooster out).
Former Regional Justice, Mr. Bassett suspects that Wooster is a criminal
(among other defects). Aunt Agatha is sharp, with her hunting horn yell.
But is now relegated to writing a ladies paper, which sells rather well.
Uncle Tom is paranoid and craves silver of old.
Bertie adores them, if only for Anatole.
That cook is an artist, beyond all compare.
To eat at Anatole's table is a delight akin to heavenly stairs.
When exiled from Agatha's estate and the food served there,
Bertie is flummoxed, and feels like a man without air.
Enough about Wodehouse! Though I hope you enjoyed this.
My readers, so dear, to have your attention is pure bliss!
I am reading the bio to Alison Arngrim. She played Nellie, the Little House villain...
Her childhood was maimed by distracted Mom and Dad.
Her older brother abused her, in a manner quite sad.
That brother was a teen idol, a heartthrob of 15 minutes in the sun.
But also a druggie, a sadist, who brooded like a melancholy hun.
Alison got her break in the Little House on the Prairie run.
She befriended Melissa Gilbert, or "Laura." "Mary" on set was the diva-ous one.
The book is told very tongue-in-cheek, "Nellie" gave Alison a role in life to defend.
Her character taught Alison how to stand strong, her brother no longer could deal her wrong.
The show itself was a story behind the scenes - heaviest dresses when the sun came down in molten beams. When winter arrived on set, however, the costumes were not designed for the weather! To shoot ahead of time, Michael Landon would plan - seasons in advance.
(He was a hardworking man.)
The makeup and hairstylists were rulers of backstage - no fighting or frowns allowed in the territory, or glares of rage.
Alison befriended these workers and was awed - these were the best in the business, their workmanship without flaws. Some did Marilyn Monroe's makeup and Bette Davis' hair!
Alison's famous curls cost a pretty dime - the most expensive hairpiece in TV at the time.
(With the faux hair came excruciating pain, each time Alison moved, the pins dug into her natural mane).
That is all that I've read, all that I gleaned.
Hopefully, my readers, my next post has better sheen.

One last piece of verse
As it is my tradition
Hope you enjoyed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment