Thursday, February 24, 2011

Commitment, or is it?

I talk too much at times. But I need some discipline in my life, thus I will post something that comes to mind every other day for a week. This shall be fun and challenging. The pictures on my page don't change for a reason - they rest in limbo as they suit the character of my page. I really have been listening to She & Him:Vol. 2 and love its sound immensely. As for Hood? It was a birthday present a couple of years ago. I read it voraciously upon its arrival. Alas, the sequels in the trilogy were long in coming, and by then I lost the thread. The same phenomenon has occured with del Toro's The Strain Trilogy - I am reading the Fall on my breaks @ my library job. Ironically, my revival of its undead contents is succeeding. (I think, at least. I still don't necessarily recall just who Gus is!).

Also, I am rediscovering albums from my childhood. While driving my Avalon, I listen to MP3's of Phillips, Craig, and Dean's early 90's work, and the ever relevant Michael Card. My new favorite Card classic is called Why?, but perennially dear to me are God's Own Fool and Final Word. I am also attempting to read Kaleb Nation's Bran Hambric: Farfield Curse book in my free moments. I finished John Green's zombie apocalypse novella Zombicorns, which he insisted was not his best work.

Premise of Zombicorns? A strain of corn causes its consumers to fall in love with the plant. The "Z'ed up" devotees dedicate their lives to the protection and propagation of the corn. They will eat anything but the sacred corn, which the "Z'ed up" plant willy-nilly in the ruins of Chicago. The protagonist is a girl named Mia whose family was overcome by the corn's mind control. She had to "complete" her parents with an AR-15 to avoid eating the corn and subsequently becoming the plant's slave. Mia lives with her dog, Mr. President, in an underground bunker. She survives on canned tuna and bottles of wine. The plot thickens when she meets a fellow survivor who wields dual M-16's in a mission to kill as many of the Z's as possible.

The novella is not very long - 60 pages at most, but for a John Green follower, it satiates a fix for a little while. Thankfully, there is very little swearing, as there are very few characters for which to swear in the tale.

More forthcoming soon.
Good night, Good Fortune, Godspeed.
Journeys have purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment