Monday, May 24, 2010

An Opportunistic offer

Yes, I do love thrillingly mysterious movies – ones that keep the audience wondering whether the players are great actors, or the actors great players. Allow me to clarify… Some characters in movies are imbued with an aura of illusion. When actors act in character, and in turn, their character acts out a part in the plot. This is the real magic of storytelling – Why I love Princess Bride by William Goldman. (As a sidenote: if anyone comments below, “I don’t own the Princess Bride”, I will choose six to personally recieve a copy. It is my personal pleasure to do so. ) The book is notable for Goldman writing the book three times. First authorship as Simon Morgenstern, ancient Florin historian. Secondly as William Goldman, the real author’s chosen pen name. This persona was “read” the Morgenstern classic by his florin-american father, and as an adult discovered the book to be longer than his father’s telling. Thus Goldman translated the book from the original florinese and pared it down from his tome-like size to a “good parts version”. The effect of the first two personas is that “Goldman” comments on “Morgenstern” ‘s rambling, explaining why and what he had to cut out from the original work. This leads to a level of abstraction that is incredible and remarkable. Of course, the book wouldn’t be truly great without a worthily entertaining story, which Princess Bride is. I tip my hat, my coat, and my wallet for such a feat. Thus the above offer. If there is a lack of response, I shall also be satisfied, as I have tried to provide copies to many of my friends already. (Meaning, I’ve been so good so far.)
The contract for obtaining a copy of Princess Bride. 1- You will read the book. 2- If you are not satisfied You can either return the book or pass the book on to a bibliophilic friend who does not have a copy. 3- You will write a paragraph about the book and post it as a comment to this. (This is optional, but would be nice to have. I can take your criticism… pretty well.)
Tell your friends if you like. It might take me a little while to obtain all the copies from half price books – I only buy a certain edition, but I will try to get it to my patient and faithful forum. (Yes, her and… him… not you: you are an internet troll… Ah, how could I forget? Yes, you qualify too.)
Thanks for reading.
Falchion

No comments:

Post a Comment