Monday, May 31, 2010

An update, I am Irate!

Today, I was finishing my daily tasks, when I saw a tab on Yahoo! news that Guillermo del Toro is quitting the Hobbit. What a bust! (Exclamation points show my raw emotion.)
I don't blame del Toro, it is the studio's fault that the Hobbit is not happening as planned.

"We have designed all the creatures. We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences ... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered," del Toro said.

Then, he has to quit because of financial ( I assume, everything seems to boil down to money flow.) and contractual conflicts. I wouldn't stay in New Zealand for twice the promised time either if I was Guillermo. He has better things to do than wait for the some production official to provide the say-so that the filming could start. The whole Hobbit thing has been a mess from the beginning. But if bloggers could wrangle movies like "Snakes on a Plane" (I haven't seen it, but it is notorious for both the internet involvement and the lack of a plot). Browncoats begged for "Serenity". Loyal watchers of CBS sent in a ton of peanuts for the revival of "Jericho" (which I watched faithfully because of Skeet Ulrich and the amazing character, Hawkins.), then fans should rally to spur the Hobbit into casting, production, and filming! I had hyped that the Hobbit would be awesome if del Toro got a shot at the story. Now, it will be further postponed. Another reason I am disappointed is the Bourne series also got nixed, causing the Green Zone instead of a 4th installment. (Not nixing the Green Zone, but Jason Bourne is a compelling character).

What do I have to look forward to watching now!? I might have to just rent the Hurt Locker (I've heard it is amazing) and the Green Zone (reason stated above), and watch Iron Man 2 (as a two hour distraction). As for waiting - September for the 2nd Strain book to get a del Toro fix, and 2011-12 for more Marvel movies to come out.

Production and movie makers are killing golden geese in favor of tired cash cow projects. (i.e. Shrek 4, Sex and the City 2, and the Karate Kid.) Yes, we all know that the films will end out right, but the reality of film creation is disillusioning and depressing to me.

Falchion

2 comments:

  1. Saaad... Ranting helps, but still, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kaleb---Surfacing after our Far East trip, currently being covered on the blog.

    I enjoyed your Guillermo del Toro columns, especially since I had just seen Pan's Labyrinth on your recommendation. Not being a great fantasy person, I thought I might just watch a few minutes of it (a nice feature of Netflix). But I got hooked quickly and stayed all the way to the end. Good movie.

    I'd heard about del Toro bailing on the Hobbit. Can't blame him---better things to do than sitting around NZ indefinitely.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete